How does family feel about OW/YM relationship? Message board Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Mar 31, 2006 at 07:14 AM

A young man on this site helped me to see potential problems by his reluctance to continue communication because I am a neophyte in these types of relationships. I had to poll my family to find out what they thought. I realized, though, that I have several people in my life among family and friends who have married someone significantly younger. Interestingly, no one asked my uncles if they were doing the right thing or worried about them getting hurt. My sister did express that thought. I guess it's the last area where sexism reigns supreme.
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 7Comments

• View author's info Posted on Feb 25, 2007 at 01:17 PM

frienship is ok, but starting a family...that must be crazy.Crazy enough to think that will last longer than a "wink".
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 21, 2007 at 06:45 PM

The typical male goes through a lot of changes in his 20s. Mentally, and emotionally. I know I am a much different person now, than when I was in my early 20s.

Communication is very important, and both parties have to let each other know what they are looking for in the relationship. Not being honest and truthful is a sure way to have a relationship fail.

That said, I think the best thing that happened to me was meeting an older woman with an open mind when I was 25. she was 54 at the time, and we had a great relationship for many years. We talked about everything, and early on, she repeatedly asked me if I was absolutely sure I wanted to be with her, and made certain we were both serious about each other.

My entire family was completely against our relationship. Everyone was afraid that I was going to run off and get married for some reason, and thought I was wasting my life away. They couldn't be further from the truth. I grew significantly as a person in that relationship and don't regret it one bit. She was my confidant, motivator, lover, and best friend.

Now my family asks if I have found someone "my own age". heh. The fact is, I still feel more comfortable and attracted to women that are older than me. That's just the way it is, and they'll just have to accept it.

• View author's info Posted on Jan 27, 2007 at 09:06 AM

I also like your response crzytexan. The rest have fantastic answers as well.
    It still all comes down to the TWO people, how they feel about each other.
    Luck to all!

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Jan 25, 2007 at 01:32 PM

As long as you have a good relationship with a good person, family opinion means nothing.
  • View author's info Posted on Aug 20, 2006 at 02:55 AM

Baylee, listen to your heart.

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on May 29, 2006 at 09:52 AM

I liked your response. :)

• View author's info Posted on May 08, 2006 at 06:13 AM

when i was 19 i was dating a woman that was 31 and my mother flipped out. she flipped about alot of things but i told her if i gotta go to war and fight for everyone in my country no matter what age, sex or race i can date any of them that i choose..havent heard a word about it since

Members Only

Follow - email me when people comment