Out of the mouths of babes or Billy Shakespeare, oft times come gems!! Romance community Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Feb 13, 2005 at 10:18 AM

"To love someone from another generation takes both maturity and a child-at-heart. I commend you, advocates of love, that embrace diversity with open arms. ""

Bravo, Annie!! I believe these words encapsulate what it means for me, and maybe other "older" folk to connect with another, from a different generation. Whilst some may twiddle their thumbs and choose to look at "May and December" or the perverbial "oldster robbing the cradle," it can be looked at as the positive that it is. Heck, I can learn much from listening to those with a different vantage point and I know that I have much to offer--as a friend or as something else-- to that particular person...Like the song, "Hope I die before I get old."

K
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 3Comments

• View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2005 at 12:21 PM

I agree!! Thank you both for your comments!!
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2005 at 09:47 AM

To piggyback on your wise words, Annie, I always have told my daughter that she has the "ability" to be just who she is without having to adopt the "like, you know?", "awesome", and my all-time favorite, "you are so 5 minutes ago," linguistic inabilities of her so-called peers. I think of this only because it must be a double-edged sword for a bright, young person to be herself in a crowd of, "wow, did you see him checking you out, girlfriend?" stereotyped later teen group, when you may prefer to meet that older friend at the theatre or discuss what the global ramifications are with respect to the recent natural disruption which killed nearly half a million human beings.

Again, I am not here to preach to you or to anyone, for that mater, my 13 year old daughter not withstanding, but there are bigger fish to fry out there than pointing fingers at a young person and her companion who may be showing some grey and who may require the use of a cane.

Beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. We just need better opthalmologists, perhaps?
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 14, 2005 at 12:11 PM

I often find myself at odds with my own generation. I have heard enough "Dude"s and "Oh my gods"s and "Whatever"s and "Like"s that I now have my own daily journal partially dedicated to recording the random quotes of my peers (I intend to keep it as a reminder of how uneducated I sound when I slip into speaking in that manner). Often times, I feel more connected to forty and fifty year olds, and without restriction to just romantic relationships. Am I still my age? Yes. I am in many ways so, including my desire to learn and experience. But that is not my only age, nor do I regret it not being so.

Annie W.
Follow - email me when people comment