On Line Scams Message board Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Aug 14, 2008 at 09:32 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm fed up with the fake, online scams that seem to be increasing on this (and many other) dating sites. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when another person is not native to the U.S. And that seems to be the only people I get messages from. Anyone else having this problem??????
    Follow - email me when people comment
  • 19Comments

• View author's info Posted on Dec 30, 2013 at 05:41 AM

The amount of scams here seems to be on the rise....I keep getting emails from beautiful women who say they are interested in me. When I check thier profile they are somewhere in the USA, and I reply to them....They instantly want to go to Yahoo Messenger and want my private email address. So I play the game and go to messenger....only to find out they jumped on thier private jet and are now landing in Ghana.....LMAO!  Then in a few minutes of messenger the falling hearts start...they use phrases and words like trustworthy...loving...good cook...want to have your kids...What a bunch of bullshit. They can't even afford a web cam, but they are traveling the globe in a private jet...I get about 2 of these a week. If you wait a day or two you will notice the profile has been removed.

People please be careful...there are some genuine folks here and are truly looking to find that right person

I came to agematch because I am serious, and I am looking for that very special person. One with a beautiful heart...

• View author's info Posted on Nov 21, 2013 at 09:11 AM

Google image search....saves no end of time!

• View author's info Posted on Jul 18, 2013 at 04:23 AM

I have read some of the comments regarding the subject of scammers in this topic and other topics on agematch. I am a little concerned that some here do not understand the seriousness of what you are delving in or worse, don’t seem to understand that some of the “people” they are exchanging emails with are hardened criminals, usually abroad. Far away from American prosecution. And therefore run rampant on the internet. Not harmless “rascals” . No different than the Felons in our own federal penitentiaries.

Potentially dangerous people. Some of their profiles are easy to spot for many of us. But I read time and time again of the guy who just doesn’t get it. Doesn’t see the obvious con that he is falling for. The guys that speak of and ask questions or advice about a “very attractive younger women who wink sat him, maybe gets a reply to his email and can’t see the red flags a lot of us do.

By the way...many scammer profiles are well written now as people are catching on to their poor grammar they used in the past. However those are canned profile phrases, words etc that are used and reused again...simply rearranging the sentences here and there for different profiles they have going. But when they write you in reply to your email you send...they don’t have that perfect generic wording they can just drop in so they actually have to write to you and that’s their Achilles heel. That’s when you start to see the red flags

The very way they write a sentence is not the way we speak in the western world. And a lack of proper grammar. They use phrases and words that usually people who have English as a second language would use. But we would find odd if  it were spoken to us in person.  Who uses the phrase “ I am Loyal women”.  And the over used “Fun Loving” and “trustworthy”.  Many say they are Christian, knowing Americans have a strong Christian history.  Here is an excerpt I lifted from an email to me. It’s actually not a really obvious example...more subtle.  See if you can find what’s wrong with it.  And keep in mind she says she’s  White, mid 20’s and she is a college graduate with a degree...and this is only the 3 rd email exchanged( and  never seems to answer my questions nor ask me things I would think are important for a young lady to know about a man she has never met before.  Yet suggest I meet her as soon as possible..

From LEE ( her name she gave me)  “...I would say I'm looking for special man that is fun loving and kind, truthful and up front,Someone i can trust and be completely honest with all times to always be there for,love me and i would return 100% as i would expect the same from my partner and In short someone who completes me.I guess I'm not asking for much. I think we should meet now as I have time off of work next week”.  End of excerpt..

Keep in mind we have only exchanged 3 emails of which very little meaningful info was exchanged.  She asked for next to no information about me and where she would be staying or anything about my life and who I am.  Here are the buz words that scammers over use. The latest is “Completes me”.  And  obviously “Fun Loving” and some grammar issues and then at some point...they request you buy em a ticket, send money etc etc.. what ever it is...but it’s always kinda  fast.  These guys want to steal your money for as little effort as possible. And YES, I meant GUYS. Sorry to break the news to you fellas, but these scammers are typically young men, usually of African origin...west coat or Nigeria etc. They work in groups or loose associations ( that’s how they share their common profile wordage and help each other come up with better grammar for their initial profiles.)

Try to picture a dirty little room set up as a internet cafe for thieves in some back woods African village or township. Literally a crowded room with con men answering emails from American men ( and women) all day and night working their scams,   The lovely Veronica or Suzy you think you are writing to and is writing back is actually a 20 to 30 year old African man just waiting for you to fall for his trickery.

Sorry guys, but that old saying if it’s too good to be true it probably isn’t applies to  your   common sense you through out the window when you actually thought a HOT 22 year old girl actually finds you attractive and wants to meet you.. Cause’ that happens all the time to you, right? lol.  Now, I’m not saying that it NEVER happens. In fact...there are some girls that will meet you and and actually will fly to America for a better life.  Typically from Russia and the old Eastern block countries, Asia too. They usually leave you right at the moment they get the green card and can legally stay in the USA with out being married to you anymore.  More times than not.

But I’m not talking about those situations.  I’m talking about true criminal con men trying to separate you from your hard earned money by fooling you into thinking you are about to get LUCKY with a hottie who’s life is so miserable and who’s future is so bleak that they will even love you and you’re just the guy to save them, you big super hero American. They pull your heart strings while appealing to your lust and loneliness.

You’re so immediately thrilled that a young beautiful women has responded to your winks etc. that you are blinded to the subtle signs that something isn’t right. You want to believe...in some cases you have to believe because you’re counting on your investment paying off.  The monthly promise these sites suggest to you in the form of fees you pay  suggest you’ll meet someone eventually . And maybe you will. But  I don’t go to Vegas to gamble cause I know the odds. I suggest that I would be more likely to win millions of dollars at a Vegas crap table than get laid by a young Hot chick I met on the other side of the world. on a dating site..and live happily ever after.

All that said and done...I am just suggesting that you be very very cautious and be realistic...using your common sense and life experience to guide you. Not your lust or loneliness. Remember...we all know you NEVER go grocery shopping just before dinner when you are most hungry. lol

Chris
  • View author's info Posted on Oct 06, 2012 at 07:06 PM

LOVE IT =))
  • View author's info Posted on May 13, 2012 at 06:14 AM

Hi all.  Well one thing we shouldn't be naive to is that sites like this, and others, actually BENEFIT from scammers.  Let's face it.  if you create a free profile and do a quick search only to find 3 people in your area there is no way you are signing up for anything.  If you see a bunch then you will try it for say a month.  Of course you will cancel quickly but who cares they got your initial money.
    They give the ability to report a profile but that of course goes nowhere.  I've reported one that had images of Kristin Cavallari,  obvious google image rip off, and it still remains.  
    The ONLY site i haven't experienced scammers is eHarmony.  Of course they charge an arm and a leg...
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 21, 2012 at 07:34 PM

All I do when I have a scamer asking for money to for airfare to meet me, is to say to them that I'll go over there to meet her because I could use a holiday and if we get along I'll bring her back with me. They never reply to that.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

franky01 is one I caught yesterday.
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 24, 2012 at 01:52 AM

I have no end of scammers try it on. I have caught every one out and given them a merry chase. Especialy nigerian ones, asking for money, which I send copies of fake WU  invoices and have them wasting money phoning me and running around a very large African country.  They are so easy to spot. If any one starts a sentance with"Am a ......" then they are West African an aversion for the personal pronoun "I"
  • View author's info Posted on Sep 05, 2010 at 06:28 AM

OMG - I have had enough of the scammers also. One tracked me through match and chemistry. Simply changed picture! Only thing I could do was report him, which I did. My only consolation is that he had to repay each time. I did, however, learn how to trace IP addresses so it was not a complete waste of time. In fact, it became comica each time I caught him. I would use his real name and then correspondance would go blank. Caught ya again!!!!

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Feb 17, 2010 at 03:34 AM

hi everyone! :)

nice 2 see such a lovely and lively thread! :)

first things first:

hi there, "luv the sun"!

I have to admit that mmm... your preception of guys outside of US seems a bit... mmm... how should I say more diplomaticly... one sided?

There are plenty of none US guys w. who I come in contact on this forum, thus proving that they are absolutely NOT scamers (otherwise they would be hiding). Gig0lo, Jag, and several others. So may be you just had a bad luck? and may be there is a way of mmm... altering the "luck" somehow? prehaps if you your self, would activley contact guys, there would be much less chance of such situation?*just a thought*

And yes, naturally I've gotten letters fr. ladies, claming to be intrested in me, and me only (despite being 20, and I more than clearly state that I'm NOT intrested in anyone younger than me at all). but... but I think it would be unfair to say that "all none-EU ladies are obvious scammers"... anyhow, I don't think there is much we can do about thouse scammers, than just ignore them, and most likely they will go away.

for "funluvr7":

Well... mmm... regarding you wondering if this is a "bogus site"...

well... funluvr7, I think first we will have to start w. the way you are positioning your Q. As everyone who have whatched "coupling" knows, this type of Q. is technicly discribed as "a fork" ;)))

how about we change your wording to say :

"either its a bougs site, or prehaps there is something missing in my profile?"

Ok. I don't know how the situation is on the "other side of the moon" (OM/YW), but on our side of the moon, my experienece is that most of people I encounter are rather friendly, most of them enjoy a chat and even if they are not intrested in you, they are still kind enough to send a "no thank you note". but than again, I have no idea of how applicable that experience is to your side of agematch.

anyhow:I hope it works out for you "funluvr7" n' you meet the girl u were lookin' for...

• View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2010 at 05:30 PM

Sorry about the misspelled words yall, but sometimes the brain works faster than the fingers.

• View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2010 at 05:28 PM

One of the scmmers got piss at me because he sent me roses trying to seen real. Telling me how much he loved me within 3 days.... HA HA HA what a joke. He called and I knew right off as soon as he open his mouth he was Nigerian and not from New York as he say, but I messed with him for awhile and then told him I knew he was a scammer. He ws so pissed off. I have lived and worked in many countries, but it is a darn shame we our technology that a dating site can't block the fakes.

• View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2010 at 05:19 PM

Well, my dear, it is not just fake women... there is allot of fake men too. I am begining to think, I would be better off visiting a old folks home for companionship. At less you know where they live.

• View author's info Posted on Feb 15, 2010 at 05:11 PM

I am with you on the continued amount of scammers. I have had a few myself and as you said it doesn't take much to know they are not Native to the USA.

• View author's info Posted on Dec 29, 2009 at 09:00 PM

I don't know why everytime someone is interested in me on this site and then before I can respond, their profile disappears.  I joined several other sites and made profiles without paying on others and I will definitely be writing about all these dating sites in the coming months.  Nothing but negative results so far: ie. no responses, phony winks sent to you by people and as soon as you respond back, they don't open their email.  Anyone have any "positive" experiences? 

• View author's info Posted on Dec 06, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I saw the same picture of a woman on this site also on a different dating site.  Her age, location, and astrological sign were diferent. I also emailed/sent smiles to 18 of my favorites on this site and never had one response!  I'm either extremely ugly and noone wants me or I'm involved with a bogus site.

• View author's info Posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Just recently I got contacted by a new member nicknamed "toomuchmore".¿ By the 3rd e-mail all the weirdness came out: ¿ poor spelling and syntax, "poor me" spiel, and the most obvious, ignoring what I'd written and asking tons of questions in one e-mail, many of which would've been unnecessary if he'd even really read my profile...

• View author's info Posted on May 06, 2009 at 01:07 PM

Most of those profiles can be noticed even without getting as far as any story.Those scam young female profiles,like in your experience with scam male ones,just don't seem to make much sense in the way that they're written.Those that do often then don't seem to want to keep up any conversational e mail correspondence.I don't bother with the e mail service on this site,having tried it,because the profiles on here are either long ago spoken for or they mostly fall into those other categories.Those that don't usually seem to have other 'issues' which suggest that there are'nt many,if any,younger girls on here looking for a serious relationship with an older man.If you want to avoid scams and/or timewasters I reckon that the blogs and forums on here are the best places to converse for a while.However at least you have'nt got such a large numbers problem,in who you're looking for,as I have in looking for a younger woman.
  • View author's info Posted on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM

tuulips there's plenty of dodgy young girl profiles around too.However you'll propably know when it's a genuine British bloke because most of us only chase younger women.The problem is most of the genuine young women,from any country, don't want to know us older blokes.Yet another Catch 22.
Follow - email me when people comment